A spay surgery is the operation done on female cats to make sure they cannot have babies. Spay surgery in Canada is usually an ovariohysterectomy, which means both the ovaries and the uterus are removed. The spaying of a cat or dog is best performed at 5 to 6 months of age.
BENEFITS OF SPAYING YOUR CATS
- Reduces the feline overpopulation
- Prevention of diseases in your cats such as pyometra (infection of the uterus) and mammary cancer (cancer of the mammary glands)
- Eliminates the chances of developing mastitis (infection of the mammary glands). This can be potentially fatal if not treated in time.
- Keeps the unwanted male animals away.
- Prevents diseases of the uterus and ovaries.
- Eliminates the chances of difficult pregnancy and delivery. This is common in older and ill cats.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR PET'S SPAY
- A mild sedative and analgesic before surgery.
- An IV catheter and IV fluids (if requested) .
- Blood pressure and heart rate monitoring throughout entire procedure.
- Post operative pain relief.
- Lots of TLC !!!.
- Pets are able to go home the same day.
- We send pets home with analgesics for post-operative pain relief.
- We always send home with instructions, explaining how to care for your pet at home.
- We always give you a follow up phone call within a few days to see how you and your pet are.
Excess and unwanted pets are a serious concern for society, so any non-purebred dog or cat that does not belong to a qualified breeder and is not in a formal breeding program should be spayed.